It’s barbecue season at our Dallas headquarters, and Chickentopia® no antibiotics ever, 100% veggie fed Drumstix™ are the perfect way to enjoy smoky summer flavors. This recipe puts a Southwestern spin on our traditional oven roasted Drumstix™ with a savory spice rub and a fresh mango salsa packed with Vitamin C. Add nourishing jalapeño white cheddar grits, and you’ll be serving a well-balanced and flavorful meal.
Yucatan Drums with Jalapeño White Cheddar Grits and Mango Salsa
Serves approximately 40 people.
For the Southwestern Spice Rub:
10 oz. chili powder
¼ cup kosher salt
¼ cup black pepper
¼ cup garlic powder
5 oz. brown sugar
5 tsp. cayenne pepper
5 tbsp. smoked paprika
For the Jalapeño White Cheddar Grits:
2 ½ gallons whole milk
2 ½ gallons water
7.5 oz. kosher salt
10 lbs. coarse ground grits
5 tbsp. black pepper
2.5 cups unsalted butter
5 cups sharp white cheddar, grated
30 jalapeños, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
For the Mango Salsa:
40 ripe mangos
1.25 lbs red onion, diced
30 serrano peppers, diced
40 roma tomatoes, diced
10 oz. chopped cilantro
6 ½ tbsp. kosher salt
3 ½ tsp. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F. If the oven has a convection feature, turn it on.
2. Mix all mango salsa ingredients in a bowl. Let the mixture marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Mix all southwestern spice rub ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
4. Arrange the Drumstix™ on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook 15-30 minutes, checking frequently, until golden brown and crispy with an internal temperature of 165˚F. Cool for 5 minutes, then coat with a thin layer of southwestern spice rub and return to oven for an additional 3-5 minutes.
5. Combine milk, water, and salt in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and warm over medium-high heat until boiling. Gradually add the grits while continuously whisking. When the grits are incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Whisk every 3-4 minutes to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until creamy.
6. Remove from heat and add jalapeños, black pepper and butter and whisk to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time.
7. To serve, divide grits equally among plates. Place one drumstick on each plate and garnish with mango salsa. Serve immediately.
To find out more about how we can provide nutritious, clean label products for you and your customers, contact us at 214.984.3600 or email us at email@example.com.